Two years ago, exactly at this time, I convinced myself to propose as a student representative, and I must say that since then, my experience at Politecnico di Milano has completely changed.
- Network: Being a representative leads you to meet many different people! In a short time, my circle of friends and acquaintances has expanded significantly, along with the topics of discussion. Before, I only knew students from my small design course, but with the representation, I started to understand that there was much more around me, and I could interact with it.
- You are not invisible: Representatives are recognized figures by the State and the University, and as such, you have the power to do, say, and act, present yourself at meetings and assert your position. Professors and administrators CANNOT IGNORE you because you represent a group of students.
- Get to know professors and administrative offices: Yes, the “hated” administrative offices will become great friends, and you will get to know the professors from a new perspective. They are human beings too, and sometimes they are as stressed as we are!
- Get to know the insights of PoliMi: While you are in class, many things happen around you that a normal student ignores. A radio studio, students building rockets for space, construction sites, and news will no longer be a secret to you, and if you want, you can know all the previews of PoliMi.
- Less stress and more pragmatism: All in all, a failed exam or revision is just a small event within such a large context where everything continues to move forward.
- A team to rely on: It is difficult to get discouraged if you have a good team, as is the case with Svoltastudenti, where I have always found someone willing to make me laugh during the most difficult moments or go dancing after a busy week. Thanks, guys.
- Learn new things: Many activities revolve around representation, and I have had the opportunity to deepen the ones I liked the most. I learned how to manage an Instagram page, create content, read tender notices, and much more.
- Never get bored: The opportunities you will find are so many that you will be spoiled for choice.
- Curriculum experience: I cannot deny that this is also a good reason to become a representative, as the skills you learn are often sought after in the job market.
- Take the leap, step out of your comfort zone: Sometimes in life, you have to take a leap, and this is the moment.
If you have come this far, you are interested in representation, now you know it too…
To get involved or find out more, fill in this form
Article by: Eva Parenti